All about Filmmaking
Posted on Blog Archive by · March 06, 2014 12:55 PM
On unsustainable filmmaking
Today we started filming an old man who is a sculptor specialised in statues embodying spirits. Of course we had to start by selecting the tree, then request for the tree to be cut with the usual ceremony of cloth, palm tree wine, and egg.
Then once again the tree nearly fell on the camera. I'm starting to believe that they have never cut a tree before or Nindo (God) really doesn't approve of this documentary yet!
This is our balance sheet after a few days of shooting:
- Number of trees sacrificed: 3
- Number of eggs thrown at trees: 2
- Number of gallons of aguardiente and palm wine: a lot
- Number of chickens to be sacrificed: 2
- Number of goats to be sacrificed: 1
- Number of taxi drivers sacked: 2 (They keep forgetting to pick us up. Yesterday we had to walk three kilometres carrying equipment on our backs.)
This is what is not known as sustainable filmmaking! However:
- Number of jobs created: 20